Foreword

There is neither a structure nor a texture to this blog. The subject matter can be anything and everything under the sky that I feel about at any given point that I happen to sit and blog rambling about everything in general. My thoughts and views are basically influenced by what I read, hear, gather, and ponder... if there is any copyright violation which I have not duly acknowledged, kindly let me know.

My world comprises of LO the little one, OA the other adult at home, kiddo the brother :)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Sep 20, 2006

Valuable Gifts...

When we were kids, mom used to make us read a lot of books, basically English books to improve our general knowledge as well as vocabulary and we were gifted with dictionaries and books every now and then. But, as a child and a stubborn one at that, I resisted everything that was forced on me and hated reading books, talking in English (yup!!! we were made to talk in English at home as kids.. mom was a telugu-medium educated person and had a tough time adjusting in her job which required English skills, so she wanted her kids to be perfect in English and not face the same problem at work or in school). I still loathe those days when I was forced to read "The Hindu" and its editorial columns aloud and give the gist. Competition Success Review (CSR), particularly the interviews of the toppers in civil services, etc., were our bedtime stories and God, how I hated reading them... but now I realize their importance in making us what we are today, both me and kiddo owe a lot to her persistence and strong will. Thank you mom, for being so strict in that aspect though I hated you at that time, I am eternally indebted to you for all those things.

Looking back, they had been our strong foundation and played a vital role in our character building... Even to this day, I love wisdom and it is my all-time favorite monthly second only to Reader's Digest... what a treasure trove they are...

I was cleaning up by book cupboard and chanced up on this beautiful paragraph listed under "Points To Ponder" in May 1994 RD edition... (yup!! we have a lot of those books even today).... and wanted to share with you all...

Most people get married believing a myth that marraige is a beautiful box full of all the things that they have longed for: companionship, sexual fulfilment, intimacy, friendship, etc. The truth is that marriage, at the start, is an empty box. You must put something in before you can take anything out. There is no love in marriage; love is in people, and people put it in marraige. There is no romance in marriage; people have to infuse it into their marriages. A couple must learn the art and form the habit of giving, loving, serving, praising -- keeping the box full. If you take out more than you put in, the box will be empty.
J. Allan Petersen

This is so true. The key to a successful marraige is so simple. We all know it but when it is put together and expressed in an order, it makes an instant impact. Good luck guys!!! and wish me too... It is very apt when they say a good book is a man's best friend and I am thankful to mom for giving me loads of them.. Even today, she gifts me with books and actually she got one story book printed for me which my friends tease me about but I really loved... well, that is another story, I will preserve for another blog :-).

8 comments:

Keshi said...

Reader's Digest is one of my favs.

As a child I loved reading. During the Reading period I always wanted to get up and read in class. I can rem staring at the teacher's face wanting her to call my name for reading :):) I rem mum used to sit with me and read from my books. Dad used to do that too. I owe them alot.


**Most people get married believing a myth that marraige is a beautiful box full of all the things that they have longed for

yes thats right. Alot of ppl expect too much out of marriage and they get disappointed. I think marriage has no clear definition. U urself has to define it with ur partner.


Keshi.

Kalpana said...

Hmm...good.... and it's very much true about marriage. All the best Sush for a successful(understanding and faith) and joyable married life.(to tell later, but with enthu now itself;))
Luv Kalpana.

itchingtowrite said...

indeed books are the greatest. i too always give books as gift to people / kids in my building.

mommyof2 said...

another nice one:-) so true about the marriage..

p.s Recommend few good books in one of your posts:-)

my life.... said...

hey gal, i am also a telugu...but in singapore, we had to learn English as our 1st language since we were 5 years old...so my parents started teaching us English even b4 we started school...yeah thanks to parents...

Sush said...

Keshi, you summed it up well.. one has to define it for self.

Caps, Thanks Ms. Enthu :-).

ITW: Gifting books is the best too :-).

Mo2: Thanks, sure... I will list them down, my fav ones.. :-)

My Life: ooohhh woww, a fellow Gulti.. great to know that ;-). Namaskaaram.

La vida Loca said...

"How to make a marriage work"....like it where he says is is empty in the beginning kinda like a bank account

PSV said...

RDz....it was so much fun reading all the old issues of RDs....I read all issues since 92 in 98 itself...:-)
those were the days

For Evil Eyes on LO