Foreword

There is neither a structure nor a texture to this blog. The subject matter can be anything and everything under the sky that I feel about at any given point that I happen to sit and blog rambling about everything in general. My thoughts and views are basically influenced by what I read, hear, gather, and ponder... if there is any copyright violation which I have not duly acknowledged, kindly let me know.

My world comprises of LO the little one, OA the other adult at home, kiddo the brother :)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Apr 5, 2007

Change and Adjustments.... SS in US - 4

First thing that hit me here is the extreme cold.. (yeah, I know, those staying in other colder states in US, please dont gimme those come here and see looks) for a new comer, it was an extreme.. the chills and shivers in spite of being dressed in a spacesuit-like jacket and looking like an eskimo, the dry scaly skin in spite of the dollops of moisturizer on the skin, etc. On top of it, yours truly did not know how to switch on the heating system at home and instead of calling up S at the office, just curled up with comforters and shivered and shivered :))))).

Me being from an average middle class family had a very modest amount of gadgets in our house back in India, we still use the 3-burner gas stove, a 165-liter fridge, etc., in the kitchen. This small kitchen equipped with dishwasher, the complete cooking range, microwave, and a biigg fridge was some kind of a dream kitchen for me and learning everything was kind of scary (what if this stove suddenly gives me a shock, what if I spill something on the stove and electrocute the whole kitchen), the oven pre-heating, frozen stuff, microwaving stuff.. to think of it now, it all sounds silly but for me everything was so new and I eggjactly (intended spelling error) knew how remote villagers would have felt when they see the city stuff :).



The bath tub and the shower were something new as well.. I mean so used to the bucket bath that it hardly felt like I had a bath in spite of soaking and showering for almost an hour :) and of course, the toilet paper stuff is best forgotten.....

Cleaning the carpet and the kitchen floor was another big pain.. well, it actually is still a pain.. :(.. all my hair seems to be on the carpet.. booohooooo... I wish I had half as much as I have on the carpet left on my head :(((((((((.....

Looking back, I wonder if everyone new to US has this kind of a problem or just me overreacting.. God knows!!! now after three full months here, I can say finally I am getting used to life here, i.e., in stead of rushing to friends for every little goof-up that I did, I can say I seem to be managing pretty well :)))

9 comments:

mommyof2 said...

It taked time to get used to.. you are doing great so don't worry:-)

hair on carpet, tell me about it. grrrr.. Its like we own a dog or cat;-)

Drama Div@ said...

give yourself some time to get used to it

Sush said...

M of 2: Sooo, true... shedding hair worse than a doggie :((((((..

DD: Yup.. coping up well now :)

Aysha said...

Way to Go Gal !!

And ur kitchen is beautiful !! :-))

Minal said...

:)
yes, your kitchen is impeccable.

Sush said...

Aysha and Minal :You are yet to open the built-in closets and see before you say that guys :))) and another thing is since our kitchen is just at the entrance of the house, I MUST keep it in good order :)

Twisted DNA said...

Nice to read how you felt. I guess everybody goes through some culture shock, may not be in the same aspects.

Kalpana said...

Yes, I too felt the same the first time when I have been to US. It took me some time to get adjusted over there.

Sush said...

Caps and TD: Saving grace, I am not the only paranoid person then :))))

For Evil Eyes on LO