Foreword

There is neither a structure nor a texture to this blog. The subject matter can be anything and everything under the sky that I feel about at any given point that I happen to sit and blog rambling about everything in general. My thoughts and views are basically influenced by what I read, hear, gather, and ponder... if there is any copyright violation which I have not duly acknowledged, kindly let me know.

Ref: Chichkoo is what I lovingly call my daughter, kiddo my brother, amma and taatee my late maternal grandparents, and OA is the other adult in the family.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Oct 19, 2010

By The Water Cooler

Parul Here has put up a contest to promote her new book.. in fact second book.

I take it up not for the contest but to pass along the information about her book.  Grab it if you can lay hands on it!!!

Contest Rules
***********
* You need to write a post telling a story or an anecdote based in an office. It could be about you, your spouse, kids, neighbour, whoever - it just needs to be based in an office. It can be funny, serious, somewhere in between, but it needs to be based in an office. It can feature a single protagonist or multiple characters, but it...yes, I know, you got it.
* You need to link to this post
* You need to put By The Water Cooler in the title of your post
* You need to leave me a link to your post in the comments section
* If you don't have a blog, leave me your entry in the comments section and it will be counted

PRIZES - Five autographed copies of By The Water Cooler are up for grabs. The five best entries will be decided by the esteemed M so please remember to pick up your grouses with him.

LAST DATE - October 31st, 2010

My anecdote

It was way back in 1999, one of the first days at work, was really very young, was in the first year of my graduation, novice, knew nothing about office or anything outside the house, village, school and intermediate college.

We were still trainees, learning Americanisms and stuff like that in prep for launching medical transcription in the organization.  It was huge for me, posh and everything was new and spotless.. a lot of computers at one place, a furnished lobby for visitors, a library, a water cooler area with hot, cold and normal water facility (it was heaven for me, a change from simple middle class life of a steel water filter and a glass).    Water cooler was without doubt my favorite place in the office, where I would play mixing up cold and hot water or just play with the taps without even bothering if people would laugh at me for such silly games...

A new training division was being built and part of it was still under construction but was inaugurated on the day of Dusshera. which is a festive occasion in the office, just for that day it was opened up for everyone and cleaned up.  The only thing functional at that point was the water cooler which was at the other end of the visitors lobby from where there was a signboard hung saying "Rest Room - Men." and the direction pointer painted next to it. 

I was there with a couple of equally educated ignorant friends like me who did not know rest room meant a "bathroom" wondered out aloud if only men were supposed to take rest at the end of or in the middle of the working day.  If we were to just wonder aloud and leave it, it wont be ME right, after the water games were over, I went ahead and followed the signboard and opened the door to realize it was the loo for men :(((... and just then a few guys seemed to pass that way looking at me suspiciously (or so I felt) and I am sure they must have laughed their lungs out once they realized what I did!!!

It is one of the most embarrassing as well as funny incidents in my life from the times back then where I did not know anything about anything at all.. to me rest room meant what it meant literally a room to take rest.. and bathroom was the only word associated with the loo, no idea even about loo!!!

It seems gross now though.. but I miss the innocence of those days!!!

4 comments:

HarshaBharath said...

I dropped my post there as well!!!

Sree said...

@Harsha..

good :))... I see you more often here.. thanks for that

HarshaBharath said...

It just happened...May be i got ample of time to crawl through all these blogs and had a lil hault over here...
And
I Should thank you its a pleasure reading ur and ur friends blogs...

Shaan said...

Awwwwwww....that was cute!

For Evil Eyes on LO