Foreword

There is neither a structure nor a texture to this blog. The subject matter can be anything and everything under the sky that I feel about at any given point that I happen to sit and blog rambling about everything in general. My thoughts and views are basically influenced by what I read, hear, gather, and ponder... if there is any copyright violation which I have not duly acknowledged, kindly let me know.

My world comprises of LO the little one, OA the other adult at home, kiddo the brother :)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Feb 26, 2013

The Palace of Illusions - Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

This is one of the books I had been planning to read for quite some time, first I saw it in Rad's list and then started the search.  I moved back to India, had my own life to look after and then somehow the desire to read it kind of went down.  Now that I have an access to a good library, hunted it down and got it.  No, absolutely not disappointed at all the effort.  It has really made me sit up and read it in one go.

I do not know how far it is true, this version of MahaBharatha through the eyes of Paanchaali, a woman who had 5 husbands, which is kind of unheard of for human beings.  I always had this nagging feeling, how must she have felt and how the hell had she managed her thoughts from not drifting to others when with one person or even if she did, how did she mask it from being obvious.  How was the domestic life and all that.  The author kind of puts an end to all those thoughts, though a fiction, I kind of found my answers to a lot of questions.  The book shows the internal conflict of Draupadi, married to 5 Kunti-Putras on their mother's words but deep within pined for the eldest, Karna.  The way she was responsible for yuga-changing history, the way she led her life, the way she saw herself, explored her inner feelings and bared it to the readers.  It might be mahaa-paapam to even think of the noble pativratas or something like that but I must say, it makes it all the more easy to relate to 'cos that character thinks like one of us... I enjoyed reading it thoroughly..

When I first saw Daana Veera Soora Karna with OA, he told me that Draupadi seeking Karna as 6th husband in her deepest desires as some fragment of fertile NTR's imagination and how his Brahmin friends kind of banned that movie as well as a lot of NTR's movies which showed the regular villains in better light, as having more morals, courage but stuck by circumstances, like glorifying Ravana and Duryodhana, the evil personified characters of greatest Indian Scriptures and accused him of tampering with sacred stuff... since then that part of Bharata intrigued me a lot and for a person growing up like I did, this book makes a very interesting read...!

No comments:

For Evil Eyes on LO